In 2011, Joel Reese left Winstead PC, a large Dallas-based law firm, to start Reese Marketos LLP with Pete Marketos and Brad Gordon. He and his partners, along with talented associates hired from several large Dallas firms, focused on winning complex commercial cases. Their strategy worked as a string of high-profile victories followed. In 2013, the Texas Lawyer recognized the firm as the top trial boutique in Texas.
Over the last several years, Joel has won many high-profile cases. While at his prior firm, Joel defended several insurers in an eight-year, multi-billion dollar class action that was featured on CBS Nightly News with Dan Rather. After successful wins in the Texas Supreme Court and the New Mexico state district court, plaintiffs dismissed all claims without receiving any payment from the defendants. Joel also defended two defendants in a high-profile lawsuit filed by billionaire T. Boone Pickens that was featured in a lengthy article in BusinessWeek. Joel was able to obtain a dismissal of the lawsuit through summary judgment, which was affirmed by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. In 2015, Joel won a jury verdict in a securities fraud case against a major securities broker after a three-week jury trial that was featured in the Dallas Morning News. In 2020, Joel settled two related high-profile oil and gas lawsuits for $13,850,000, which were approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Joel’s cases have changed Texas law. Joel was lead trial counsel responsible for securing the seminal Texas Supreme Court opinion concerning the discovery of electronically stored information (“ESI”) in In Re Weekley Homes, L.P., 295 S.W.3d 309 (Tex. 2009). Joel’s cases have also established standards in Texas for class actions and real property nuisance claims.
- Honored by the Dallas Business Journal as one of the top 15 business litigators in Dallas (“The Defenders”) in 2008
- Recognized in US News & World Report's Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.)
- Recognized by DMagazine as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas (2016)
- Recognized by DMagazine as one of the Best Lawyers Under 40 (2006)
- AV Rated by Martindale.com.
- Recognized as Texas Litigation Department of the Year in 2013 by the Texas Lawyer.
- Recognized as setting the standard for electronic discovery in Texas in In Re Weekley Homes, L.P.
- Recognized by a “Texas Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters from 2010-2022
- Served as the Chairman of the Texas Tech University Rawls College of Business Advisory Council (2013 – 2016); 2016 Distinguished Alumni Texas Tech Rawls College of Business.